The smoked salt rim and mezcal in this Smoky Peach Margarita make a great pair alongside the warm peach flavors. Using frozen peaches instead of ice cubes gives it a super rich, smooth texture, perfect for the hottest of summer days.
Mezcal for Flavor
Tequila is a given for a margarita, but I wanted to add something extra to complement the warmth of the peach flavors. Mezcal, with its smoky characteristics, fit the bill. I used El Silencio mezcal.
Mezcal can vary widely in flavor. I only used a little mezcal in order to not overpower the peaches, but you can adjust your amounts to make sure that flavor is coming through.
Smoked Salt Rim
The smoked salt on the rim of the glass is a great way to accentuate the smoky flavors brought in by the mezcal. If you've never had smoked salt before, it's just what the name implies: salt which has been exposed to smoke, picking up some color and flavor from it.
In the photos I used Maldon Smoked Sea Salt, which I highly recommend, but any smoked salt will work great here. Generally, a flaky type of salt will stick better to the glass.
Making the Peach Margarita
To make this margarita, you'll first want to rim your serving glass. Cut a lime in half and use the cut side to wet the rim of the glass. Then, dip the wet parts into a plate of the smoked sea salt. Set your glass aside while you make the rest of the drink.
In a blender, combine frozen peaches, mezcal, tequila, gum syrup and lime juice. Blend it up until it's smooth. Depending on how many peaches you add, you might need to add additional water or ice to make sure the blender runs properly.
After everything is smooth, just pour it into your serving glass. Cut a wheel of lime and add it to the side of your glass for a garnish.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- This frozen Strawberry Campari cocktail is another delicious blender drink
- Get another hit of smoky flavor with this Mezcal Chocolate Cherry cocktail
- This blood orange Whiskey Sour is another great fruit-forward drink
Did You Try This Recipe?
I would love to know if you gave this recipe a try! How did you like the mix of smoky and sweet flavors? Please leave me a comment or star rating below and let me know!
Smoky Peach Margarita
- 1 lime
- smoked sea salt for the rim
- 5-8 frozen peach wedges
- 1½ fl oz tequila blanco
- ½ fl oz mezcal
- ½ fl oz triple sec
- ¼ fl oz gum syrup
- 1 fl oz fresh squeezed lime juice from approx. 1 lime
- Put the salt onto a small plate. Cut the lime in half and use the cut side to wet the rim of the glass.
- Dip the wet rim into the salt until it goes all the way around the glass.
- Cut a lime wheel from the lime. Cut a slit in it from the edge to the center, and set the glass and lime wheel aside.
- Add everything to your blender and blend until smooth. If the blender gets stuck, just add a little water or ice to get things moving again.
- Pour the drink into the prepared glass. If it is very thick (depending how many peaches you used), you might want to spread it out with a bar spoon.
- Add the lime wheel to the side of the glass and serve.